ARTIST COLLECTION 2021
About the Project
For our first ever Artist Collection we're collaborating with two existing artists (more about them below). And for the 3rd? We're focusing on highlighting and celebrating Māori contemporary artists and designers to help us create a limited edition print for Zeenya.
2020 saw a lot of change in the world, from the pandemic and social isolation to the Black Lives Matter movement. For us, 2020 could be summarised in one word: Gratitude. For what we lost, what we gained and for the position of privilege we find ourselves in as a business.
But it also got us thinking, what if there's more? More to what Zeenya can do, more to support our own Indigenous culture here in New Zealand. And while it's true that we've been ruminating for nearly 2 years on this project, it was 2020 that has helped give it shape.
We're asking for submissions from Māori artists to join the project. With the help of our judges, we'll select a group of finalists who will be celebrated through our community with one talented human being paid and having their artwork become a limited edition Zeenya print. This will then feature in the Artist Collection in our New Zealand Made styles, available to be snapped up by lucky shoppers later in the year.
Applications have now closed.
Meet the Artists
We are fortunate to have two incredible artists who have already said yes to being part of our Artist Collection. Like us, they're super passionate about lending their support to indigenous creatives. We're even releasing a sneak peek at the designs they have created for us (so unlike us we know)
Meet the Judges
Passionate about sharing in this project and supporting others to shine, our judges know a thing or two about artwork and design.
Before you get creating there are a few things we need you to know.
- There are no set inspirations, ideas or themes from Zeenya on what you can create. Your limit is your own imagination.
- There are two ways to get involved - by either creating a print for submission or by sharing your Portfolio with us (both are done through the application form below). This is to allow new and established artists to be involved in the project.
- Those that choose to show their interest through their portfolio would be contacted for next steps once the entries close.
- If you chose to create a print it will be judged on originality and wearability. The most important thing is that the pattern must be able to seamlessly repeat. (Please download the Artist Info Pack below for how this works).
- The only requirement we have is that you are of Māori descent and can tell us your whakapapa.
- Once submissions close, a group of finalists will be selected to have their story and artwork shared with our Zeenya community.
- The selected winner will receive $1000 for their creative genius and have their print included with the below artists as part of the collection. Together that's going to be one magical activewear collection!
For all the Terms and Conditions, how to set up the artwork and FAQ's, please download the Info Pack below
Here at Zeenya we always aim to do our best, and to pull this major project off it's going to take time. In fact, it's roughly a 6 month project from us starting this conversation in May to having this line available for purchase in November.
So, here are the timelines you need:
19th May - Applications open for Māori Artists and Designers to enter their work
21st June - Applications close
22 - 30 June - Applications judged
Finalists and winner will be contacted by 2 of July with next steps
From there, our fabric will be created for us and be turned into our amazing Artist Collection.